Sunday, November 16, 2014

UBAL Playoffs first round

Wow, I really wanted to do one of these each day but man, the playoffs go fast.

Currently we're engaged in a battle that we're the only ones that saw coming.  The Oakland Oaks are a fairly average team (below .500 even) but they always play us to a near enough standstill so I new this would be close all the way.

Game 1 was the killer.  I'd run the sims and didn't bother changing as my current lineup had us winning at about a 4-1 rate over Oakland and almost never dropping one at home.  That was a mistake as it turned out with Oakland stealing the first behind Reggie Miller.

Game 2 we won as we should and I felt more comfortable.  DC was ripping it inside, Duncan supporting the team as ever and too much Magic and Oscar was the recipe.

Didn't change the lineup thinking again we were going to win game 3 on the road.  Game 3 and another Oaks win forced me in to action.  Decided to go with a much 'flatter' lineup.  I know that lots of you use a shortened roster and come playoffs shorten it even further.  That can work for sure, but in a league of stars, even the minor guys can play really well.  If you force you roster too short it puts a huge reliance on the starters - if one of those plays a stinker (like Magic in game 1) you're done for.  So I've gone for a more balanced roster, lots of players in lots of positions, running and changing often - after all when your roster is 10 or 12 deep there's no harm in doing that.

Big win in game 4 for the Stars puts the series down to a three gamer from here.  I'm keeping the lineup going into game 5 and predicting a Stars win.  Game 6 I think is 50/50 so ideally we'll wrap up the series and move on.  Otherwise we're in one of those game 7s and honestly anyone's game.  We've got the edge obviously, but that means nothing in these games!

Go Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment